This year thus far has been very interesting; we have had 2 hit and run totaled vehicles.
- First question, would you hit someone and not stop, what if they are injured, could you live with yourself not knowing?
- Second if you leave and are found that is a criminal offense, do you want to go to jail or worse be charged with multiple felonies.
- Or is it that these people are already criminals and they simply don’t care?
Due to the hit and run drivers we then are forced to car shop and I think I have expressed previously just how much I loathe car salesmen, and I say men because that is the majority who work in the industry.
- Is there a reason I am treated like I am stupid and have never purchased a vehicle before because I am a female?
- Yes I know where the battery is, hello and a whole lot more since I have purchased well over 20 vehicles in my lifetime, yes again me NOT my husband, he refuses to go.
- When you say the car is discounted as far as it can be because that is what you have in it, I know this is a flat out lie because you bought it at auction and have marked it up to the retail price, yes I know this too.
Story: Just purchased a replacement vehicle from Kia of Portland. Let me give you their name so you will know who NOT to deal with. My son and I were told that the used vehicle we were interested in was the best possible price. We purchased the car and drove it off the lot.
- The next day I get an alert that the car price has been reduced on the website by $1000. Really?
- Being the follow up person I am, I immediately sent the dealer and email and ask for my $1000 back, that seems fair right?
- They knew the vehicle was sold but reduced it to attract customers on their website, is this not dishonest? Yes same vin number and vehicle photos..
Last let’s talk the federal budget. I see that the reductions are all coming out of the programs that impact the middle class, elderly, and below poverty level population.
- How is it that the rich will receive even more tax breaks and the people who really need the help are being penalized?
- The dishonesty of this particular administration thus far is mind boggling.
- If I made over 5 hundred thousand dollars a year I would be throwing money at programs to benefit those less fortunate and be happy to pay more taxes, come on what has happened to helping your fellow citizen?
- So the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, do we want another depression in this country?
- Where has common sense gone?
I was raised by a very smart, independent mother. Although her and my dad were married for 20 years and she was a stay at home mom before divorcing, she taught me life lessons that all woman should follow:
- Go to school, no one can take away your education
- My story- graduated with a bachelors in Computer Information
Systems at age 37
- My 4 year old and a 2 year old went to night classes with me
- Doesn’t matter how long it takes or how difficult keep at it
- No job is beneath you
- My story- starting out at 14 working in the fields topping corn
- I was 4 foot 2 and couldn’t reach the tassels but they found me a job
- I learned a valuable lesson that hard labor was NOT what I wanted to do in life
- Never depend on a partner for financial support
- My story- I have NEVER not had a job (or at times 2 or 3) that allowed me to pay my own bills
- Sometimes I didn’t know how I was going to eat and pay my bills so I worked at food places (figure it out)
- A partner (man or woman) should be a companion who helps in the process but you should not depend on anyone else to take care of you
- What if they leave, what you gonna do then?
- This ensures you are self-sufficient and self-aware
- If you need help don’t be too proud to ask for it
- Example: the Wic program provided milk for my young boys for a year at no cost
- Create a budget and use the envelope system (Dave Ramsey tells you how to do this today but my mom did this before Dave was born)
- My story- I have a spreadsheet that shows where every dollar of my money goes every payday
- A meal plan will save you hundreds of dollars because you actually plan your lunch and dinner rather than guessing every day what to eat and you shop for only those ingredients
- The meal plan we created when our boys were at home saved us over $400 a month in groceries
- Put money away for emergencies- it will happen and items do break even if it’s 10 a week, the dog will get sick and the car will need new tires
- Plan for fun- put money away to reward yourself for doing great- date night, movie, or even a pedicure, it doesn’t have to be big but budget for it then you’re not mad when there’s nothing left at the end of the month
- Don’t finance if at all possible and never lease
- My story- I am still a work in progress on this one
- We all know cars are not cheap and most of the time we can’t afford what we want to drive
- Never buy a new vehicle, always buy used so someone else pays the depreciation
- It is possible to find great used cars with low miles at a very discounted price and don’t be afraid to ask for a lower price
- Dealerships are in business to make money and they have some wiggle room regardless of what they tell you
- As a woman you need to do your research because salesmen think you are stupid (sorry but true) so when you go in with nada book values and fair market pricing they can’t help but talk to you differently
- My husband in 28 years has never bought any of our vehicles because I love the satisfaction of getting a good deal (he usually leaves when the money talk starts, and don’t be afraid to walk away)
- I have made up my own rule on this one, if you have to finance make double payments and try to pay the car off in 1 year or 2 at the most
- When you lease you are making rent payments essentially and never gaining ownership of anything and the interest charges would make you pass out if you knew what they are
- Make a vision board not resolutions
- My story- I cut out pictures, quotes, or anything else I want to accomplish each year
- These can be goals, wants, needs, anything really
- Post them on a bulletin board and be specific about what you want to achieve
- Put it in a place you see it everyday
- Mine is on the wall by the bed in my room
- This puts it out in the universe and helps it come to fruition
- Don’t believe it try it what do you have to lose
- I did this with my son’s house and his starter home was almost identical to the photo I had on my board
- If everything isn’t done at the end of the year that’s ok but I guarantee it will be more than you ever thought was possible without it
Make 2017 Great