I love color, print, and home improvement projects. I had previously tried to update these old closet doors and needless to say it wasn’t good. Last week while shopping at my very favorite store “goodwill” I found this fantastic animal print wallpaper for 6 bucks a roll. I bought both rolls and came home to get busy. It took me 2 full days of scoring and scraping to get the old ugly wall paper off but now the doors are FANTASTIC, no one can say I’m boring. My decorating style is certainly bold. I hope you like it.
I always get so excited every year when the first official day of Spring rolls around and I pay for it every year. Now you would think that I would figure it out that I cannot do all the required maintenance of cleaning beds, pulling weeds, putting in new raised beds, planting, new boarders, etc. in one day, DUH. But every year I over due it and feel like I have been run over for several days after, ha. This year we were considering a new gazebo, permanent structure as we love to be outside all year long. In Portland it is important to have some kind of cover because it rains ALOT. I had a company come out and give us a quote for the new patio cover/gazebo and about passed out when he gave me the price. For a 12 by 14 cover they wanted $11,000, what? I think this is crazy so my husband and I headed to Lowes. Again if you follow my blog I am cheap…..and like to show people you can do beautiful things on a budget
We found this really cool huge red umbrella thing. When fully extended it is huge, and has these built in LED lights, super fun ($300 not bad). Then we found this recycled tire landscape edging. The area that holds the raised beds got a make over. Since my husband has an old football player back I of course got the hammering duty to connect and put in all the spikes to hold the edging in place. I think my right arm is a Popeye arm. We already had the bark from last year, we buy it in qty when it is on sale 4 for $10, so no cost.
This weekend the mulch sale is on again and yep you guessed it I will be taking the truck to load up. I hope you love it. I can’t wait to get my garden started.
I work approximately 12 minutes from my house and go down one road, no freeway commute for me. I decided for Christmas I would get myself a cheap (you know I’m cheap right) commuter car and here it is a used 2011 Smart Car. It has this funky little manual/automatic transmission that would probably make most people crazy because it hesitates when shifting and if you want a zippy car this is NOT it but for me it is perfect. I can literally park anywhere and if it takes a while to get up to speed ok. I am certainly in no hurry at 5:30 am on my way in.
And the funnest thing is this little thing is convertible so in the summer it is going to be Great. Apple car play and cruise control, who would have thought. I sent a picture to my older brothers and they asked why I didn’t buy a bike with a motor, ha they are hilarious.
Anyway Super cute and fun and I will get it wrapped eventually with some crazy graphic.
My husband asks me all the time why I watch reality TV. He is like why would you just want to watch a bunch of people screaming and calling each others bitches, ha. Well let me explain:
- My life seems super chill when I see these bitches (their word, not mine) screaming at each other all the time
- I see so many saggy boobs in belly button cut tops and dresses that I feel like my assets look pretty fan friction tactic.
- my mom always told me to keep them guessing and only show what you got to those who deserve to see it (so so so true)
- I feel smart and like my vocabulary is super advanced, some of the words I don’t even know what they mean and that is a good thing
- I recognize how materialistic most of these people are and it makes me appreciate the fact that I don’t want or need a fancy bag, car, house to impress people who probably can’t stand me or can’t remember my name.
- As Dave Ramsey would say why do you need a fancy car to impress people at a stop light you don’t know ;0)
- My velvet back pack from Target gets lots of compliments
- I recognize what people I don’t want to be around and how I would never allow people to speak to me.
- We know our worth and treasure the fantastic people we call friends
- I have learned to love my face, now this is not to say I don’t get botox on the regular and I am not opposed to maintenance to enhance your features but when I see you and don’t know who you are because your nose is missing or your lips are so big they look like they are going to pop, too too much…
- Last if you married into money and don’t do anything to contribute to the bottom line but demand at every turn bigger and better homes, cars, etc. you need to go.
I am so glad I am just a normal working woman who lives a quiet simple fantastic life with lotsa love.
In preparation of my new master bath and closet remodel someday being completed, I decided to begin looking for the closet organizers and hanging apparatuses for clothes. I called a local home improvement store and they came out and measured and provided a quote of $5500.
- I just about passed out; I need to hang up my clothes but not on gold plated hangers, good lord.
- I then asked if we decided to move forward with the purchase how a customer would pay for this.
- The entire amount is due up front and could not be installed for 8 weeks. In addition, there was a $175 processing fee for paperwork. Ugh what?
Of course me being the bargain shopping queen (ok cheapskate), I took my measurements out to our local Ikea store.
- The little guy in the closet section helped me choose the closets and all the components, with delivery and installation it was less than $1500.
- Yep how’s that for saving four thousand dollars. I could have had the closet installed in 2 days, imagine that not 8 weeks.
The joy of saving so much money was fantastic but the pain with the installation was real.
- First the delivery and install company employees had no clue how to assemble the closet, ha imagine that.
- My window for them to install was 9 am to 6 pm, really could you narrow it down a little?
- I take the day off and you guessed it they showed up at 5:55 pm.
- The crew took everything out of the boxes and said oh there’s a damaged piece we will have to report and come back tomorrow.
- My question was can’t you assemble the sections that aren’t broken and install only to be met with a look of utter confusion.
- The next day the new item arrives with a completely different delivery person and installer who also had no clue also.
- 6 hours later and still not finished the new installer states well there are a bunch of missing pieces so I will need to come back. Ugh really.
At this point I turned into the cheapskate bulldog and immediately got online and filed a claim with the delivery company and insisted a manager call me back. I was refunded $600 of my money due to the fiasco and I installed the closet.
So the big question is was this a Deal or NO Deal?
The bathroom downstairs was so so so boring. I love spaces with personality and could no longer stomach the white wall behind the toilet. I know toilets are not exciting so I had to figure out a way to update on the cheap. Here it is finished and so cute. For a total of 12 bucks, yep one roll of peel n stick wallpaper did the wall and the cabinet doors and took all of 10 minutes. I love it…. doesn’t have to cost alot to be cute
I love to decorate but anyone who knows me is aware I am frugal Fran or cheap, call it what you like. So now that the holidays have arrived I wanted some festive items but didn’t want to spend but a little. Here it is, dollar store stockings, shiny trees, and Garland. Lights 1.98 lowes, huge christmas bulbs and containers goodwill for 99 cents.The tree yep i ventured out on thanksgiving and got it fo $39 plus 30% off. yes it can be cute and inexpensive. oh and I painted the cabinets with paint in the garage , free…..I should be a money saving guru