I must say I never thought I would be impacted by addiction but it has smacked me in the face full on. My oldest son who has always been the strong athlete is sitting in rehab getting well. As a college athlete he was given every opioid available to keep him on the field and now he is repairing the damage. I am thankful he is alive and the man he is meant to be has emerged. He has gained 60 lbs of muscle and is not only physically but mentally healthy it is truly amazing. I never knew how horrible the addiction was but am grateful my son has found his purpose. We never understand the struggle or circumstances until god reveals them and he is on his way to a great great great future
My heart hurts today. A friends young daughter passed away yesterday of a drug overdose. The pain she is dealing with right now must be unbearable. I cannot even imagine if one of my children left this earth before me, honestly this is one of my greatest fears.
I have been around drug abuse most of my life and have seen the devastation it causes to the person using and the family and friends around them who love and care about them.
The question I have to ask is when and how do we stop this train wreck?
- The pharmaceutic companies must have some consequence for creating highly addictive substances that have 8 million people in the United States hooked.
- How do citizens fight this multi-billion dollar industry?
- What about the doctors who prescribe these like candy, what’s their penance?
- Certainly there are tracking mechanisms in place to catch doctors over prescribing
- How about the dealers with no conscience who sell anything and everything for a quick buck?
- Used to be a lot more difficult than it is today to get illegal drugs, every corner
- How about the coaches who want athletes on the field at any cost?
- Oh I know this begins in high school as I have seen it firsthand, college, NFL, your knee hurts here is a pain med.
I don’t pretend to have the answer but certainly as a society we at some point have to recognize that something has to give. Maybe instead of building new prisons maybe we should put our funding into treatment facilities. Yes the argument I am certain will be made that each person has a choice, but do they really once they are hooked. The mind and body aren’t fully developed until almost 30 and are now altered, how do you go back? I found some research from Daniel Amen which I found very interesting, if you have time take a look.
This week a fantastic woman that we have known since our kids were little passed away from brain cancer. Tonya began her fight with breast cancer and won only to have it come back in her brain. She was one of the loveliest, kindest, funniest people that I have ever met. I can only imagine the pain that her husband and son are feeling and it makes me wonder why great people get such horrible diseases and are taken from the world. I believe in a god and know that there must be a reason but can’t help but ask why her? Tragedy is all around us, which is one of the reasons I don’t watch the news or read the paper because I don’t want to see or hear all the negative input. It is when these situations occur that I guess is an opportunity for all of us to evaluate what is truly important and focus on making the world a better place. Thank you Tonya for making the world a better place- in honor of my girl……