Anyone who knows me is aware, I live for eggnog and pumpkin season. Well guess what, I found my first batch of nog, yes. It’s a beautiful Fall day in the Pacific Northwest so I off course got up and put on the crockpot full of Mississippi chicken and yep Punkin Eggnog cake. You all need smell o vision because my house is where you wanna be today. Jason I’m thinking of you today 😃
You all know I love to cook, I picked up a new paelo cookbook last week and decided the paella recipe sounded great. So here it is, I used chicken sausage instead of pork and supplemented with a whole gang of Thai chilies to spice it up. I loved it and it was the first time I’ve used saffron.
Don’t tell my son who hates cauliflower but there’s a whole head in this dish, ha, he had no clue. I just pulsed it as the recipe called for. Flavor was unbelievable. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested. This over 50 eating plan may be fun after all since my metabolism has decided it doesn’t want to work anymore.
Food changes and the gym will make it all ok
let’s just be honest as we age our eye brows become sparse or for me pretty much non existent. I decided to go visit my bff’s brow lady this week, here is day 1. They are beautiful but dark, just the first step to the end goal. My husband said Burt from Sesame Street ha. I will post weekly progress but I’m juiced to see the final results.
Ok today was brow touch up, so beautiful
They are always DARK on day 1 but final will be Fantastic
Ok so I was watching hip hop squares and they featured a product called schreddies that help minimize farts, I have never been so excited in my life.
Let’s just say it out loud I am the queen of farts. Let’s talk about it. I had an intestinal blockage at age 19, prior to babies and a husband. I had a grapefruit size growth that was removed, the doctor and nurses ask me 8000 times have you passed gas?
They told me how important it was to fart. Better out than in was our Motto. So for the last 40 years I have lived the truth that farting is healthy and required. Thankfully the man I love has a horrible sense of smell😂
My youngest and his friend are visiting this weekend and his favorite thing in the world is banana cream pie. I decided to switch it up and make mini banana cheesecake and omg are they great. Plastic plate I know is super fancy, ha but these will be gone tonight. Glad I love to bake. Let me know if you want recipe.
I’m feeling a little under the weather because of cough due to cold as Forrest would say. So when I’m sick I always seem to recognize how little things make my life so great:
- The first cup of ☕️ in the morning
- A hot bath
- Vick’s vapor rub
- Clean sheets
- The steam sauna
- Soft jammies
- Chicken 🐔 noodle soup
The meal tonight for our pescatarian expedition was mushroom meatballs. Let me just say yes, these are great. You would never know unless I told you that there is zero meat. Recipe below:
- 2 containers button mushrooms
- Diced onion 1
- Rosemary and basil (as much as you like)
- Diced pepper (any color)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- Parmesan cheese
My husband came home a few days ago and said he had read an article about the Pescetarian diet. The first thing I said is what the hell and is this some made up shit? He suggested we should try it. I had never heard of this so of course I had to go research.
Pesce, the Italian word for fish, is associated with people who add aquatic animals to a vegetarian diet. Pescetarians (sometimes called pesco-vegetarians) eat freshwater and saltwater fish and shellfish in addition to the fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, eggs, and dairy vegetarians typically consume.
Presumed health benefits:
There’s evidence that a dietary pattern like this favorably impacts chronic disease, a lower mortality rate among pescetarians, in addition to lower levels of blood cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as [decreased] risk of diabetes, blood pressure, and metabolic syndrome. The benefits are similar to Mediterranean diet, vegetarianism, and the benefits of eating fish.
I have toyed with eliminating meat from our diet for years due to the fact I love animals, pork and beef have not been in our house for years but I have struggled with giving up chicken and I love fish. I am concerned about how to get enough protein.
- I love to cook but the vegetarian recipes I have tried thus far are less than wonderful
- If I could find a cook book that included Vegi and grain meals packed with flavor I would be on board, any suggestions?
- I am a texture person so would need to figure out what to incorporate to not feel deprived or miss the little meat I do consume.
I am off to the library (I love the library) what’s better than free reading (yes I’m frugal too) to find some cook books to give this whole Pesce thing a try. Stay tuned, I will post those items that are great and certainly tell you about the horrible things too.
I am not a regular consumer of news or just about anything published by the large main stream media companies. I have however seen some coverage the past few weeks about the overdose of Demi Lovato and I have to say I’m angry at the stupidness (probably not a real word)
First let me say that I am hopeful that this young lady will recover and get the help that she needs to get and stay sober. As you all know if you follow me, I have a child in recovery. What infuriates me is the fact that there are millions and I mean millions of people addicted to some type of substance in this country but it is not important or news worthy until it impacts a celebrity.
I wonder if the media actually did some journalistic research and continued to run the facts about addiction as a regular reoccurring conversation if perhaps society might learn something.
- Misuse of prescription opioids is increasingly recognized as one of the nation’s most significant public health problems because it can lead to physical and mental impairment and even death (NIDA Research Reports, 2005; Simoni-Wastila and Strickler, 2004; Zacny et al., 2003; Denisco et al., 2008; Compton and Volkow, 2006; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2009; Okie, 2010).
- Though there is no standard definition of misuse, common definitions range from “taking a medication in a manner other than prescribed or for a different condition than that for which it was prescribed,” to “intentional self-administration for non-medical purposes, such as getting high” (Compton and Volkow, 2006; Denisco et al., 2008).
- Data from the U.S. National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) indicate that 12.7% of the general population aged 26 and older report lifetime misuse of prescription pain relievers and that 1.6% report past 30 day misuse, with higher rates among some subgroups (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2009).
It saddens me that the media continues to state how Demi is going through withdrawals and that she is still being treated for whatever her symptom is that day.
- Fact, when you use drugs and then stop (forced or otherwise) you go through withdrawal, duh.
- If you are given Nar can, you go into withdrawal shortly after.
So my plight is to leave this girl alone and let her get healthy and switch the focus to publicizing the problem in this country with drug addiction instead of a person.
I try to workout and stay in shape but didn’t realize just how important it is until this week. 25 years ago I had surgery on my intestine for a blockage. Since that time I pay close attention to what I eat and have not had any real issues until this week. My stomach starts to hurt so I take some pepto and lord help me, 10 hours later I’m admitted to the hospital and have a tube shoved down my throat. If you have never had a NG tube I do not wish this on anyone. This tube helps remove air or excess fluids out of the stomach and there is no eating or drinking so I also became a human pin cushion with IV’s and blood draws. A surgeon comes in and says we think we will need to do surgery if this doesn’t work. I of course was like nope not happening, pump in the fluids. Short story 4 days later I am home with no surgery and eating soft foods.
So let’s look at the positives:
- Had I not had been in shape and walk everyday I would not have been so lucky.
- I have never appreciated broth and a hot cup of coffee so much in my life.
- Pudding is now my favorite dessert, ha.
- I lost 6 pounds
- My skin looks great, all those fluids have me looking like I’m 21, well maybe not 21 but 40 atleast
- I am forced to drink ALOT of water which I should be doing anyway
- My portion size is small and I am eating with chopsticks to slow down
- I chew everything a million times before I swallow (also good)