Today I attended my CPR/first aid certification course. I arrived and a man with a keg beer belly and long white hair was in the back of the room, also a participant. I being friendly Fran spoke to this ass hat and asked him where he worked in our organization. He informed me he is a crew chief for one of our offender work crews. Ok I am passionate about rehabilitation and second chances so I engaged in a very brief conversation.
What the hell, this dude in 3 minutes asked how long I worked for our company. When I replied that I relocated from Idaho. The first thing out of his mouth was how could I move from such a beautiful state with such wonderful Trumpster conservatives. Ugh that’s exactly the reason I moved to get away from the bigots I watched treat non white and LGBTQ like shit my entire life.
It got worse, he refused to participate in the CPR portion of the course and sat for 4 hours doing absolutely nothing other than watching us. He stated he was only interested in the first aid portion of the course. What?
The point of this post is to demonstrate the quality of people we have working with men trying to rebuild their lives. I cannot imagine how he treats the work crew participants and know for certain in just 3 minutes it is horrible. We have to identify and stop allowing people like this man to have any power or influence with anyone coming out of the criminal justice system.
This guy and I have been hanging out for 29 years. It seems crazy that over half my life I have spent with him. There have been many bumps and challenges and it takes commitment to make it last but it is so worth the effort. When we said the words for better or worse we meant it, I’m grateful for the journey, love, and joy he brings to my hyperactive self, ha. Happy Anniversary to us
This blog post is just asking for those of you who follow me to provide your honest feedback. I would love to know what it is that you like about my blog, is it the posts are so random? That I tackle some serious topics at times? That I am honest and not afraid to be silly? Really just whatever.
I am asking because I am in the process of finishing my first book and I am also preparing for a podcast. I would love to talk about the topics and things that you want to hear or like. Please provide your thoughts: Ready GO……………..
The past week I decided that I was not drinking nearly enough water. I figured that your water intake should be comparable to your wine intake, ha so I picked up this super cute new water bottle that is 24 ounces and determined it was good to drink 5 of these per day.
I have done a good job of taking the bottle everywhere I go but man the first week I spent more time in the restroom than I did at my desk. Maybe that was just my perception but good lord how many times can one person pee in a day, A LOT I tell you.
The health benefits of drinking water are also a motivator:
- Clears toxins- good bye wine
- Skin care- maintains turgidity
- Relieves constipation- not my issue
- Reduces hangover symptoms- again good bye wine
- Weight loss- um no I’ve gained 3 lbs, really???
- Improves brain function- my old brain needs this
- Regulates body temperature- I am the coldest woman in America so let’s hope this is true
I am back in the gym too, this should help eliminate the 3 lbs. of water hopefully but right now I feel like the attached photo. I am hoping that Jesus will come turn my water to wine soon.
First let me state how grateful I am to be a home owner.
- I love the fact that I have a large space to keep me busy and that I can close the door and have no one bother me
- no upstairs or downstairs neighbors
- no home owners association (the very best thing)
- no one complaining if my music is up to loud (I’m old so this doesn’t happen often) ha
- ample parking
The yard work however is never ending. Yesterday after putting in a full day at the office, I came home to a truckload bark in bags. They are of course on sale this week so my husband thought it was a great idea to pick up as many as his truck would hold.
I am now the official “bark spreader”, (yep my title).
Those bags aren’t going to unload themselves and need to be carried to the back of the house for distribution in the new flower beds.
- 18 bags later and today my elbows are sore
- I have never heard of sore elbows, is that real?
The photos show my progress.
I hope that I am not the only person in the world that has at some point in my career has worked with someone who you have no idea WHY they still have a job. This has been one of those weeks. This is the person we all know that starts something and never finishes anything. They are however great at asking someone else to take on all the tasks they have yet to complete because they are just to swamped with work, WHAT work you have done nothing in 5 years.
The boss for some reason likes them and gives them special projects which leads to the creation of new time wasting 100 step processes that no one can follow. When you provide feedback that it doesn’t work it becomes a “I’m just the messenger” or “it’s been approved by the committee” already. Who is the committee exactly? The worst part is they truly have no expertise in ANYTHING but feel they need to change everything or tell you how they believe you can improve what you are doing, REALLY…. JUST STOP ALREADY
This year I am turning 50 and with this milestone has come a whole lot of self-reflection and a whole lot of questions. I assume that anyone around my age never thought when they were 20 that we would need to consider all these decisions so soon. I know I didn’t and I always thought I was the ultimate planner, WRONG. Now that I have arrived I guess it’s time to research, get some advice (please feel free to comment), and put together a 5 year plan.
- How many more years do I need to work?
- How many more years do I want to work?
- Five- I have worked fulltime since I was 14, I’m tired
- Can I take money out of my retirement accounts without paying a penalty?
- I am currently waiting on responses from providers
- What do I love and want to pursue for the next 20 years?
- My three tops things I love in life, Wine anything, Thrift Shopping, and sharing stories
- Maybe my blog could become an income stream
- Library and you tube here I come
- Should we sell our house and take the equity to pay cash for a pre-built home on a piece of property?
- Can we find an affordable property that is not in the middle of nowhere?
- I live in the Pacific Northwest and property prices are currently out of control
- There is actually a housing crisis with 500 people a day moving to the Portland Oregon area
- This would indicate that now is NOT the time to buy property (question answered, re-evaluate in a year)
- Since my husband is not ready to retire will I be bored out of my mind?
- I believe that I could find plenty of things to do to keep myself busy
- I have always wanted to transform pallets and wine barrels into usable furniture (pinterest has plenty of ideas) why not now
- I love wine crafts, motivational and funny quotes, I could produce products for all my kindred wine friends (I know you’re out there)
- How much money do I really need to live?
- If I can eliminate my few credit cards and pay off the balance on my car in 2 years all that would remain is a house payment
- Dave Ramsey I hear you talking to me
As I discover new information I will share it with you
photo credit given to davidfranklinstudioworks
Yep its happening, in 4 months I hit the big 50 and I cant say Im excited. First let me just say I never thought I would be 50,especially when I was 30. And once you hit 50 I suddenly am left thinking I’ve lived over half my life already, what? Then there is the aging part, my skin is now dry and peeling but looks oily, and the lines certainly are not welcome. My hair has a mind of its own and the white, yes white not grey is just enough to give me a skunk likeness if I let the grow out go on for too long. Who would love that? If I was independently wealthy and didnt go to work everyday I would probably be worse off because all I would want to do is eat and have cocktail parties, ha. So heres to turning 50 and all the excitement to follow.
Why if you have 3 packs of the same type of seasoning are all of them open and half used?
Why is it that no matter where you work there is always one person who likes drama or whiney?
Why do people say things and not follow through, if I say I will be over at 9 be sure I’m on your doorstep at 850?
Why are people so concerned with things that are none of their business? Stop being nosy
Why is it as you age your vision changes, I now have to take my glasses off to read up close, since when does it improve, so dumb
Why when you are young does 50 years old seem ancient? Here i come….
Why would anyone want to jump off a bridge with nothing but a large rubber band on their feet (bungee)
Why do people have to stop traffic trying to look at an accident drive people drive your not crashed
I like to think of myself as someone who can tackle most home improvements projects. Last year we laid a paver patio, replaced the garbage disposal, put up a new canopy, replaced multiple toilet rings and if you let me will paint every surface that is available. So when I think about putting on a new screen door and see the sign “45 minute EASY INSTALLATION”, of course I am on board. Let me just say 3 days later we are just now putting on the auto close spring. I for certain need to write a letter and offer to become the manual writer for the company because the instructions sucked to say the least. I love to read instructions (I know not normal) and by the time I was done with this one I wanted to set it on fire. Ikea instructions are just pictures and better than these. Oh and you need a good drill, the baby drill I had was really not adequate for the hole drilling into metal.
Now that it is up and complete, if I was smart I would have taken a video to show others what the heck to do and probably provided some great entertainment in the process. My advice, if you are going to buy a screen door pay the 99 bucks and have it installed, it’ll be the best money you ever spent ;0)